Find out how Winchburgh is supporting each other and reach out for any help locally if you need it.

The community support page will bring you all the great stories from our own local heroes

View our Q&A section below for advice on dealing with current COV-19 situation


At present, the Food bank is only sending out food parcels to people who are receiving Crisis Grants (see below). Application must go through the Bathgate Advice Shop (01506 283000) or the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (01506 432977) or email at

The Scottish Government is funding further food bank projects so we can expect to see this service or others expanding in future weeks.

Crisis Grants can be awarded to meet expenses due to an emergency or disaster avoiding an immediate threat to health or safety. It could be help with food or utility costs. Anyone, over sixteen, who has a low income, or does not have access to their money, can apply. A key test of eligibility for a Crisis Grant is the severity of your situation and the likely impact of the grant. The grants are from the Scottish Welfare Fund and are administered by West Lothian Council. Use the Scottish Welfare Fund online form to apply. You can get help to fill it in from WLC 01506 280000.

Volunteers have set up a food support programme for those who are having difficulty getting food for themselves or their families. Winchburgh Developments Ltd have given funding for buying food and parcels are being delivered.

If you need help with food, for financial or self-isolation reasons contact the food support team

A small team from Winchburgh supplies the food to make proper Sunday dinners to families who need support across West Lothian. This excellent programme was set up before the Covid-19 crisis. At present, they can not increase the number of meals they deliver. They are funded by donations.

Livingston FC make meals each day in their kitchens which are then donated to local communities. Winchburgh gets a delivery of 40 meals every two weeks.

Mental health helpline 0800 838587 for listening, advice and information for people in Scotland feeling low, stressed or anxious.

Q & A

If you or your family need support then phone the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Advice Shop.

Both can offer help and support during this time. Be aware that the offices below are receiving a large number of calls and there may be long waits. Use the websites where possible.

  • Citizens Advice Bureau West Lothian 01506 432977
  • Advice Shop Bathgate 01506 283000

If you need additional village based help because of the Corona Virus, email or phone/leave a message,text to 07955731522. Response within 24 hours.

Coronavirus lay-offs have forced many people to embark on their first ever benefits claim. If you have been laid off or are self employed and work has dried up, you probably should be applying for Universal Credit. There is a very good article in the Guardian about this: Universal Credit - How To Claim

For the self-employed, even if you expect help to come from the government’s self-employed scheme you should apply. At this stage we have no way of knowing when things will get back to normal. Anyone with savings of £16,000 or more is not eligible to make a claim. They can only apply for jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) of £74.35 a week, and will receive no help with their rent.

This now has to done on line. There is a large backlog of applications and phoning for an update is liable to be unsuccessful. You can sometimes trigger a phone call by noting in your journal that you haven’t been able to get through.

here is more information, and you can apply, at: Universal Credits Information

The newly self-employed hardship fund aims to provide financial support to individuals who registered in financial year 2019/20 and have not been able to access support through other scheme. Successful applicants will receive a one-off payment of £2,000

For more information and eligibility:

Provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to Unpaid Carers and Personal Assistants (PAs) in West Lothian. If you are an unpaid carer or a PA providing personal care, West Lothian Health & Social Care Partnership is working with Carers of West Lothian to make PPE available to you. If you or the person you care for is in the shielded category, or if you normally use PPE in your caring role but are struggling to get it from your usual supplier, PPE is available to protect you or the person you are looking after. To check whether you are eligible and to place an order contact Carers of West Lothian on 01506 448000

The almond group practice is still fully open but you must phone to make an appoinment on 01506 890 210.

Do not just turn up at the Health Centre. If you need to be seen, then arrangements will be made for that. If you think you may have COVID-19, then you should phone 111.

If you have corona virus symptoms, you should phone the NHS24 Covid-19 hub on 111. If you are ill but do not have the symptoms, contact the Health Centre (Almond Group Practice) on 01506 890210. It is still fully open. Do not just turn up at the Health Centre. If you need to be seen, then arrangements will be made for that.

There are a number of organizations been set up for anyone that needs someone to speak to during these hard times.

Breathing Space: or call 0800 838587

NHS Inform:

Samaritans Scotland Helpline: Call Free 116 123 or email

You can also chat to your Helping Hands volunteer or email

The Scottish Tourism and UK hospitality have set up a free service for workers that have been made redundant or had contracts terminated due to COV-19. Its a free service which will also allow sector companies such as those in the food drink retail and care sector with under-employed staff to second them to work in other sectors during the crisis. You can read more information at Scottish Tourism Alliance and request access to this